Thursday, July 8, 2010

Montezuma Canyon Ranch Day 4

Remember how I was complaining about all the bugs and bug bites yesterday? I may have muttered, "if I get one more bug bite I'm going on a homicidal rampage"??

Well, yesterday I decided, "forget organics!! Pesticides were the greatest invention ever, lets kill them all!!"..during that proclamation, I DOUSED myself in deet, all day long in fact, and even before I went to bed. I was determined to not wake up with eyelids covered in mosquito bites. Well, I woke up this morning with eyes so swollen I could barely open them; they were ON FIRE! Also, I spent a good portion of the morning washing my sun glass lens without any success on getting them cleaned. Finally, it dawned on me. No, my lens would never be clean because the deet actually melted little pockets throughout them. My eyes swollen, burning, and goopy? Why yes, magical deet. Needless to say, I have (again) seen the light and revoked my anti-organic stance. I mean, the stuff BURNS THROUGH PLASTIC!! When you are at the supermarket considering whether or not to spend that extra 30 cents on organic versus the other stuff, remember what I am saying here: the chemicals used to kill the insects on your food, as well as the chemicals that cover your food (in increasing abundance) BURN THROUGH PLASTIC (I can say it again if you'd like).

Aside from that revelation, hydrocortisone cream works very well in reducing the inflammation and itching caused by mosquito bites. I am no longer going insane from itch, all though I am still quite itchy, I think that I won't murder anyone....today.

After almost 2000 vines, we have switched from planting Chenin Blanc to Riesling. As Danny was explaining to us today, Riesling is a very common white wine in Germany and Eastern Europe. At one point in the United States, it was more common than Chardonnay. After 2000 vines, even the smallest change is an exciting one. Tomorrow we will be continuing to plant Riesling and will have a new WWOOFer with us. Tonight someone from Minnesota will be coming to join us, and tomorrow a group of WWOOFers from Britain will be coming in as well.

I suppose that is all to talk about today. Except maybe that we felt rain drops while working. Throughout the day and night we will hear heat thunder and see heat lightening, which (self explanatory) is caused by the extreme heat. Yet, today we actually felt rain drops (again, we have been doing nothing but plant vines for hours a day for the past four days, this is exciting stuff people!). We also decided that we are going to crush Benadryl and put it in Danny's morning smoothie so that we can either take the day off, or steal one of his dogs and hold if for ransom. I suppose we don't actually have to do it anymore since tomorrow will be our last day working. Saturday we are going fishing. Danny will be showing us how to gut a fish and then we will be grilling them as we catch them on coals. I am pretty excited for this.

I will try to post pictures ASAP but the Internet is so slow that I am having a hard time doing it. Wish me luck everyone! Lets hope my sore legs and feet can last one more day.

Oh yeah, and we were going to go to four corners today, but got out of work too late. Tomorrow we will most likely visit four corners (I've been there, its a plaque in the ground where CO, UT, AZ, and NM meet and that's about it, but still fun to do at least once in your life).

Talk soon! My skype name is Ncolao86 if anyone is interested.